Monday, August 16

Wishing Away God’s Time


This came to me while at my desk on a weekday morning hoping for the weekend. I have taken so much time God has given me for granted. How do we make every moment precious to us as God intends? With all the work that needs to be done in spreading His Word throughout the world, shouldn’t we be asking for more time and showing God how precious it is to us, then wishing it away so quickly?


I’m just as guilty of this; taking time to watch meaningless shows instead of studying and spending time with Him. I’m not saying don’t relax. I am saying how often do I choose Him and His things over my own?


Some of us are good at putting others first, especially parents. But when do you put Him before yourself? Putting your spouse, children, friends, and extended family before yourself will do nothing for them if you first don’t put Him before yourself. My husband and I were talking on this the other day, he made a statement that stuck with me. “When it finally becomes real to us that we are making the most important Being in the universe wait for us by not getting up early as we promised, or making time through out the day for Him, then perhaps we’ll get serious and actually do it.”


Maybe you think if your heart isn’t in the right place or you are in a bad mood it wouldn’t be profitable; but isn’t that when we should be in the Word spending time with God even more? Isn’t that when we should be laying down at the feet of Jesus asking Him to change our hearts, to put us in the right mood?


Why are we so stubborn about the mood we are in, or how our days turn out, when we doom them from the beginning and not allow God to work in them? How many times have I woken up wishing I could go back to sleep knowing today is going to be a “bad one,” or not looking forward to a week ahead at work because of all the meetings I have to attend? “It’s going to be a rough week.” I’m dooming my day or week before it even gets there.


“ For let him who wants to enjoy life and see good days (good-whether apparent or not) keep his tongue free from evil and his lips from guile (treachery, deceit).”

1Peter 3:10 Amplified


“Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit.”

Psalm 34:13


“Put away from you crooked speech, and put devious talk far from you.”

Proverbs 4:24


I’m fighting against God by using negative words and thinking instead of working with Him. What we speak becomes our thoughts, which, if thought on long enough, falls into our heart and does damage or good depending what they are. We need to more closely watch our vocabulary; but also take an active role in controlling where we let our minds roam.


“We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive t0 obey Christ”

2 Corinthians 10:5


“For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.”

Hebrews 4:12


The Amplified Bible explains it further, just quoting the end that I want to emphasis, “exposing and sifting and analyzing and judging the very thoughts and purposes of the heart.” As a child, I was taught God is everywhere and knows all things. If you do something bad even, if your parents are unaware, God knows and sees it. How often as an adult I forget that simple lesson?


If we desire to have active, productive, positive days we need to use our words wisely to convey that message, not doom it from the start.


“Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.”

Ephesians 4:29


No comments:

Post a Comment