Wednesday, January 4

Next Steps

Tonight I read through Matthew 14 and it jumped out at me...

"Peter said to Him, 'Lord if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.' And He said, 'Come!' And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But seeing the wind, he became frightened and beginning to sink..."

Since June of 2007 the year I graduated college and decided to not go on to law school I've been to a certain extent lost. The goal of attorney had been changed in my heart. I'm still not certain when, but I knew it was right. Looking back, I know it was God. Tonight as I was asking what are the next steps He brought that verse to my mind. When you're in a storm, uncertain of your next step don't look at the great gusts of wind, the down pour of rain, the waves trying to over take you. Instead focus all your might on Jesus. Do you think Peter was looking at the storm or watching his feet when he began to walk out on the water? No, because if he had he wouldn't of made it one step yet when he began to sink he was within the reach of Jesus. He had walked out father than one step because Peter was focused on Jesus, not on his own feet. It wasn't until Peter noticed what he was doing and took his eyes off of Jesus that he began to fall. Isn't that when we all begin to fall, when we become more enticed, more distracted by what is around us then the one person, one being we should be focused on, JESUS. That's what happened to me tonight. My incredibly patient husband had to verbally knock some sense into me. I became to focused on the "hard" stuff I have to do and the little "me time" I may get every night instead of focusing on what Jesus is trying to do in me. The calling He is trying to tell me about that He has for my life. That "hard" stuff when said out loud once the tears have departed and time has been spent in The Word sound so little, so dumb, so easy. Things like frustration at work, being away from home for 10 hours a day, overtime, burn out... Petty compared to what so many others go through, Petty compared to what Jesus went through.

As I take the next step, with the storm brewing around me I focus once again on Jesus. So thankful I am always within His reach and He always is reaching out to me in case I begin to sink. I pray that if your sinking, you'll feel the tender, strong hand of Jesus entwined in your fingers not letting you go. So thankful tonight for Matthew 14: 28 - 31

No comments:

Post a Comment